Wednesday, February 28, 2007

DAY -9 Hospital Admission

I’m here. Keith brought me up and I ended up in my room early. I made sure to bring my own comforter and pillows. (Thanks Heather Z) The bed has an air mattress on it that inflates/deflates by itself. May take a bit to get use to. The PA came in and gave me a physical and went over my history. I saw Dr. Dean on the elevator and he said he was going to take good care of me. I just ate my dinner meal, which was not bad. One down and how many more to go? My cell phone is working but the Internet connection in my room is not. I may have to take my laptop down the hall in order for me to gain access. The Room has it’s own air filtration system along with a glass door. Not bad. Got my clothes put up and hopefully take a shower here soon. They won’t let you use your own toothbrush for fear of bleeding gums so they give you a sponge on a stick, baking soda and two different kinds of mouthwash. I got all my pictures up and I’m winding down for the night.

9:00 p.m. is when they start my chemo (Busulfin) it runs for two hours and they will give it to me again at 3:00 a.m.. 9:00 a.m. and at 3:00 p.m. for the next several days. Vitals every four hours. I’ve been listening to my itunes, which if I didn’t have that, it would really suck.

56 MILLION STEM CELLS COLLECTED! 33 the first day and 23 the second day which was a ½ bag. They were very impressed! My social worker came in and we talked for a while. She thinks I’m adjusting well for the first day. She said she will check in with me frequently.

Nurse Kim is very nice. She lives in Akron, close to Keith. She went over all the drugs telling me that Busulfin is the one that is not so hard on the system but the other ones (two more) get worse as we go. She too, thinks I’m going to do great. Just hooked be up to a bag of fluids and gave me some Dylantin.

I’ll let you all know how I did through the night and will try to post tomorrow evening.

-9 and counting down to 0.

No comments: